Discover in this interview the inspiring portrait of Nadine Marsden, who plays a key role at the Exxo Service Desk. Nadine shares her professional experiences, her passions, and her unique perspectives on teamwork. From practical advice for new colleagues to her thoughts on Sequotech, she offers an authentic glimpse into everyday life in a dynamic company. Be swept away by her captivating story, her enlightened ideas, her vision of professional challenges, and much more…
Can you generally explain your role, your missions and choose 3 words that describe them?
As the first point of contact at Exxo's Service Desk, my role involves managing and directing requests from our clients and partners. My main responsibilities are:
- Request management: I receive calls, identify callers' needs, and redirect them to appropriate services. For IT support requests, I create and organize tickets in our system, considering system engineers' availability, ensuring smooth daily operations.
- Administrative management: I'm also responsible for managing the central email inbox, actively monitoring systems, warehouse management, applications, and other office management tasks.
The three keywords that characterize my role are:
- Prioritization: Assessing the urgency and importance of issues is crucial for deciding immediate actions.
- Rapid understanding: Quickly grasping client concerns is essential, especially when they express their IT problems swiftly.
- Overall view: Maintaining a good overview of daily events and system engineers' availability is vital for an effective management.
If you had to give advice to new hires, what would it be?
- Be Yourself: Every person is unique. Stay true to yourself and your values and do your best!
- Take Notes: There will be a lot of information to absorb at the beginning. Taking notes will help you find your way and not forget important details.
These are simple but effective tips for getting started in this role.
What do you like most about your job?
I find the most rewarding aspect of my job is interacting with our clients and collaborating with my colleagues. As we are all of similar ages, the spirit is very collegial and leads to a dynamic working atmosphere.
What impressed you most during your time at Exxo?
What struck me the most at Exxo is the notable difference in team spirit compared to other places I've worked. Here, the general mindset is very positive and collaborative. On these grounds working together is a pleasure.
If you could put yourself in a colleague's shoes for a day, who would it be?
If I had the chance, I would choose two people:
Stefan Dettwiler, our CEO: His role is fascinating because he manages a multitude of interesting and complex tasks. I'd like to understand how he organizes his days, makes strategic decisions, and handles the daily challenges of a CEO.
Diego Ciaramella, our Head of marketing: My personal interest in marketing also drives me to want to spend a day in his role. Having previously worked in this field at a former company a few years ago, I would be curious to see how marketing is approached and practiced at Exxo.
If you had an Aladdin lamp, what wishes would you make?
If I had an Aladdin's lamp, I would make two wishes. The first would be for world peace, a wish to end conflicts and promote global harmony. My second wish would be for a long, happy, and healthy life for me and my loved ones so that we can fully enjoy our time together.
Could you tell us few words about your passions?
My greatest passion is music, influenced by my father, who is a musician. I play the guitar and sing, sometimes with him. It's a passion shared with my brother, who also plays the guitar, while our mother supports us, somewhat like our manager (laughs). Apart from music, I also like swimming.
Do you have a book to recommend?
Although it's been a while since I've read a new book, there's one that has left a lasting impression on me that I would recommend. The book is called "Dieser Hunger nach Leben". It tells the biography of a woman who, during a trip to Malaysia, met a man. In a tragic turn of events, this man unknowingly placed drugs in her luggage, leading to her unjust imprisonment for 10 years. It's a poignant story that left a lasting impression on me.
If you had to choose a mentor, who would it be?
If I had to choose a mentor, it would be the singer, Pink. I find her inspiring as a powerful woman, and her music had a significant impact on me during my teenage years.
What do you think about Sequotech?
I believe the merger between Exxo and Sequotech is advantageous for both companies. I think this collaboration will open up new and interesting opportunities for both parties and at the same time synergies can be exploited.